We are excited to announce that Serenity Bus will be featured on display at the KNOW H.O.W EXPO February 1-2. If you are in the area please come by and say hi and get a tour of our full time home on wheels! Can’t wait to see some of you there!
Know H.O.W Expo Facebook link
Know H.O.W Expo website link
So much has happened since we last updated. We are blessed and God is good!! As I sit here and write this I hardly know where to begin. I suppose I need to just give a massive info dump and let everyone navigate to the social media tab on this website to see all the corresponding pictures and posts. Going forward we can give much more thorough explanations (we will begin blogging weekly now that our travels are in full swing), but for the sake of getting caught up... forgive me for just downloading in this blog entry.
We did leave Cleveland in mid November as planned. We headed straight to Kentucky about 45 minutes south of Cincinnati, Ohio. The trip up through the mountains was unfortunately marred by high winds, intense rain, and heavy fog... all of which made our maiden voyage a white knuckle driving experience to say the least. We arrived safely in a small town 10 minutes from the Ark Encounter, where we camped for the week. We had a blast! During our time in KY we saw the Ark Encounter, the Kentucky Horse Park, and spent some time sightseeing in Cincinnati. It was a great trip to kick off our journey! Check out our social media tab above for some pictures and more details.
After Kentucky, we quickly drove back home to Cleveland, TN for Thanksgiving with our extended families. I know we had only been gone a week, but it was still nice to be back home however brief a stay it may have been. Sherry, the kids, and I enjoyed two Thanksgiving dinners and additionally some much needed time with dear friends, as well.
The goodbyes were as hard as always as we pulled out of town heading for south GA the first week of December. We were on our way to Metter, GA just west of Savannah for a few weeks stay with some other dear friends. Our goals for our time in Metter were not all met, but we spent lots of quality time with some of the greatest people on earth and made many new friends which seems to us to be way more important. While we were in GA, the whole family volunteered for several days with Buy A Tree Change A Life. We had also intended to touch up paint the outside of the bus and paint a few items inside of the bus as well (we left a few painting items to do on the road so we could begin our journey sooner). We are excited to announce that the outside of the bus is now beautiful, but the inside.... well we had lots of fun with our friends instead. We will get it finished at some point.
On the 22nd of December we left our friends (old and new) in Metter to meet up with my family for a Disney adventure in Orlando. If you have never been to Orlando or Disney at Christmas .. nothing can adequately describe the crowds or the traffic. We had a great wonderful time with my family, despite the sea of humanity, in our large vacation home with a private pool. Although Christmas seemed a little out of sync with the norm we still managed to replicate much of the essential Hamons family traditions despite being away from home. Great memories were made by all.
This morning we said goodbye to my family and headed back to retrieve our bus (we had left it north of Orlando at an extended family member's house for the week). Weirdly, as nice and cozy as the vacation home was... I told Sherry on a few occasions that I really missed our bus. It was great to see her safe and sound, when we pulled up. As we were leaving the bus's parking location, we had a bit of a scare. The host family lived nearly a mile down a sandy road and as we were backing down the drive and attempting a 3-point turn we hit a patch of quick sand (yes quick sand!) and the bus began to sink fast. 36,000 lbs in sinking sand is enough to make anyone panic. I am still not sure how we got the bus out of the pit we had created.. the ruts were over 2 foot deep. Thankfully the neighbor, whose yard we had destroyed, was very sympathetic and understanding. We made it 40 miles down the road to Ormond Beach without further incident. Ormond Beach is where I am currently writing this blog entry. It's beautiful! It was misty at the beach today, but the kids had a blast collecting shells and playing in the water and sand in the near 70 degree temps.
Our future plans are uncertain. We have committed ourselves to be a leaf in the wind and go with the flow. No real plan or agenda. We want to spend January hitting all the major beaches along the full perimeter of Florida ending in the western end of the panhandle. The goal is to write blog entries and reviews about each location and then turn it into a new Ebook to sell. We have an expo that Serenity (our bus) will be on display at in central FL in the beginning of Febuary and right after that there is a Skoolie rally "Skoolie Swarm" that we will be attending in central Florida as well.
Well, thats all for now. Thanks so much for all of the support and prayers. We love and appreciate you all. As always you can help us fund our journey by clicking the donate link on this website.
All our love,
-The Serenity Bus Crew
We are being asked constantly for an update on the project. All the requests for information only confirms to me my negligence in posting to this blog isn't imagined. We have been insanely busy wrapping this conversion part of the project up rapidly so that we can get on with the travel element of our journey. So.... I am taking pause from my enormous to-do list, right now, to give a status update for the Serenity Bus Project.
Goodness, where to start, so much is happening even as I type and even more has happened over the last few months.... I think the easy way to do this update is in a list format, so here we go.
1) We are starting a podcast for the Serenity Project!! Thats right.. we are excited to begin work on it just as soon as we depart on our travels (in the next couple weeks). A link to the teaser intro is in the blog post below this one.
2) The bus, is a few servicing appointments away from completion! Well sort of. We are getting new tires installed and a new hitch fabricated this week. Next week we are having an International commercial truck dealer service Serenity to give her a clean bill of health. I have a 150 gallon fresh water tank being custom built for us and it'll be ready the following week. All the hookups are already in place and it should just be plug in and go. In the meantime, I am wrapping up the wood ceiling and isle lighting as seen in the picture below. I need to put in two closets which should take two days. After that I need to hang a few curtain rods and we are done done done with construction! It's been over a year and a half process and we are so ready to be done with the build.
3) We just completed our first book!! We are super excited. It is being copywrited now and will be available in E-book format for download very soon. It's 99 pages and is written as an aid for those considering purchasing a bus. It covers the do's and don'ts, gives valuable insight and resources, and will be a very helpful tool to skoolie newcomers and veterans alike. More info to come.
4) Our new website is in development. The awesome couple at Lil's Design are building us a beautiful bespoke website and we can't wait to launch it! More to come. Spoiler... it'll have a voting mechanism allowing our followers to vote on our next destination.. You'll decide. It's going to be great.
5) We have apparel we will be selling from our new website just in time for the chilly season. Beanie hats and long sleeve shirts to start, with our branding on them of course.
6) We have a new radio interview and a guest appearance on a new podcast program coming in the next month. We will post links when they are available.
7) Our first destination has been chosen. SAVANNAH, GA. Some of our best friends are hosting us for a couple weeks while we give the bus some touch up paint in and out. The painting is in preparation for our grand reveal of the bus and the corresponding YouTube video.
8) We have a photoshoot in Reliance, TN coming up in the next couple weeks. We will upload those pictures as soon as they are available.
That's about it on the updates for now. Please continue to remember us in your thoughts and prayers and a big thank you to those that have donated to our project (using the donate buttons --> ). Both have been tremendously appreciated. Please reach out with any questions about our project. We love getting feedback. Also, we are always considering new collaboration opportunities. Please contact us for any mutual marketing ideas you may have.
Thank you all for your love and support, it means everything. Be blessed.
All our love,
-The Serenity Bus Crew
Serenity Project Podcast intro
Podcast coming winter of 2019
A special thanks to our friends The Mailboxes for our soundtrack!
Drop a comment below and let us know what you think